Sunday, August 25, 2013

It's the little things..Makeover Monday#3

I've slowly been making over my house, redecorating to suit my current tastes.

Seems obvious, doesn't it? After all, I'm the one who lives here.

Gone is the red dining room, the beige kitchen, the green living room and every other room a different color. Ugh! What was I thinking?

Every room is slowly coming together. One wall at a time. I had plans to completely remodel my kitchen using IKEA this summer, I had made the models, measured for cabinets, and chosen the drawer pulls.

But then life happened, I had to have surgery and paying for that (my insurance really bites) totally blew my budget.  I no longer can afford to remodel this summer, it will have to wait until I save up again. Drats!

Not one to have any kind of patience (even though I teach my Kinder/1st graders this every day) I decided for a little paint job.

My kitchen started out like this..





This shot shows the colors the truest.


Nice yellow tile counter tops.  What was with the builders in the late 60s? Was white tile hard to come by? There was actually brown grout too but the previous owners painted over it with beige paint and left the yellow tile, yea me!

A few weeks ago I reorganized my cabinets to display my dishes a bit better and to remove the red toile wallpaper I put up about 10 years ago.

This is the before..
Here it is after..



I took down the wallpaper and replaced it with some barnboard print paper from Hobby Lobby.  I had seen a "One room three ways" challenge and Karianne @Thistlewood Farms used this paper in her bookshelves. I loved it!

So that was the beginning of the change..

Knowing that I wouldn't be replacing my cabinets any time soon, I decided that a quart of paint wouldn't break the bank. I popped on down to my local Lowe's and color matched the color I had painted in the dining room.  For those of you who need to know color names, it was Restoration Hardware's "Silver Sage." Not to be confused with their "Light Silver Sage."  These are two very different colors but come from the same "Silver Sage" line.

So this is what I ended up with..








I'm really happy with it!  The wall color makes the yellow tile less obtrusive.  I'm thinking of trying Rust-oleum's Tub and Tile kit to paint the counter tops white.  I figure it couldn't hurt, the kit isn't too expensive and it comes with good reviews, so, I'll give it a shot and review it for you.

It's the little things that keep me going..Happy Monday!

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts...please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from each of you! If something strikes your fancy please let me know!